Saturday, 28 August 2010

Update - Jumpers, blurbs and the film deal...

I'm editing Before I Go to Sleep at the moment. It's pretty tricky. The plot is complex and everything hinges on everything else, so changing even a tiny element seems to send a ripple throughout the rest of the plot. It's slow work. Every edit feels like pulling at a loose thread in a favourite jumper - it might make it look even better than it does at the moment, but it might just as easily cause the whole thing to unravel. I suppose I have to have the confidence that it's stitched together better than I think...

The great thing is that I don't feel totally alone in this any more. Over the last few days Selina, my UK editor, my agent, Clare, publicist, Alison and I have been sending emails back and forth discussing a possible cover 'blurb' for the book. It's pretty exciting - the first time I read it I found myself thinking 'Wow, I'd like to read this book,' almost before I realised it was my novel being discussed. That's got to be a good sign. And since then the three of us have examined every word and tweaked each syllable to get it perfect. I'll share it soon.

What else? On Thursday Clare and I met with the lovely Nick, who is handling the film and media rights. I sat in the offices of Curtis Brown, still not quite believing I was actually supposed to be there, and then we discussed how things are progressing on that front. Needless to say it's all very exciting. The thought that someone might one day want to make a film of my book was always a fantasy, and now it's a reality. People do want to. And though that doesn't mean a film is going to be made (I don't know much about how the film industry works, but I know enough to not get too excited about a film actually being made until the cameras roll, and even then that film might not see the light of day) that's pretty wonderful. The whole thing moves at a glacial pace (compared to the sale of the book, at least), but more news when we get it...

Now, back to the edits. Macaroni cheese? Or boil-in-the-bag cod? Hmmm....

No comments: