Friday, 2 March 2012

Birmingham Big City Read

I spent the evening in Birmingham on Wednesday, a city particularly important to me as I grew up nearby, and went to University there. It's changed a great deal in the years since I left, but it's still unmistakable, and arriving at New Street on the train is still enormously evocative, though of what I'm no longer sure.

I was there for an event that was the climax of the Big City Read project - the aim of which was to get the whole of the area reading and discussing Before I Go to Sleep, sort of like one huge reading group. My publishers, Transworld, gave away 1000 free copies of the book, and the libraries co-ordinated and advertised the project.

The event was enormously enjoyable. I answered a few questions about the book and also about my life and my writing, and took some questions from the audience. As always it was great to hear different people's perspectives on the book, and a there were a few interesting questions (most notably, who do I want to see playing Dr. Nash (usually I 'm asked who I'd like to play Christine), and why Christine is dressed so badly throughout the book? 'Because her husband buys her clothes?' I replied, tentatively. The person asking the question was having none of it. 'Just because she's lost her memory,' she said, 'it doesn't mean she's lost her taste.' Fair point, I thought...




4 comments:

Brid Bracken said...

I think the book is absolutely captivating. I'm an avid reader. This book has me spellbound. Can't leave it out of my hand! What an imagination the man has. It's a race to the finish! Congratulations to Mr Watson. I hope the movie does IT justice. B.Bracken

Nadia R. said...

Just finished the book this morning, absolutely amazing. Very disappointed to find out it's the only one written so far! Can't wait to read more of your work!

How to go to sleep said...

i don't sleep until i finish this book so good and very interesting to read.. when is the next???

Kathleen said...

Just... Thank you...