Thursday, 16 June 2011

Life in a Day

Tuesday was publication day for the US and Canadian editions of Before I Go to Sleep. I was tremendously excited, just as I was on the day it came out in the UK. It was a little tough, though - I wanted to be able to go and look at it sitting on a shelf in a bookstore but had to content myself with looking at its Amazon page. Not quite the same - but I will be over the other side of The Atlantic next week (Toronto - Houston - New Orleans - Miami - Ft Lauderdale) so I'm certainly not complaining and I'll get to see it then.

I was also lucky enough to be invited to the premiere of Life In a Day on Tuesday evening - the YouTube collaboration with Scott Free (who are making the film of Before I Go to Sleep). Over 450 hours of footage that was shot on July 24th last year has been edited down by film maker Kevin McDonald to create what I thought was a really fantastic film. By turns funny, sad, moving, trivial, profound, the film took a snapshot of what it means to be human in the early 21st Century. I recommend it highly.


Melissa said...

Our book club in Nashville, TN, is reading Before I Go to Sleep this month, and we're talking about it in late July when we go to Seaside, FL, for our first trip together! Then I'll be blogging about it in a book club column for two different websites, and Thanks for a fantastic read!

April K. said...

I just finished the audiobook version of Before I Go to Sleep. It was so great! I even drove around the block on more than one occasion to finish up a part or chapter! I've been telling everyone about it! Good stuff :)

1000myths said...

I like your book very much. It has special meaning for me because my wife suffered a ruptured brain aneurysm (not sure of Britspell) last December. She has recovered almost completely but as a result of her experience, I have devoted a great deal of my reading time to brain research and related literature and your work, seems to ring quite true.
One interesting point: I had to Google you to satisfy my curiosity about your gender. The "S.J." does not reveal and as I read your book, I frequently ask myself "Is Watson male or female?" So now you are unmasked and I wonder "Is the S.J. a deliberate attempt to disguise gender or just an attempt to protect privacy?
Try as I may, I have difficulty reading the work of female writers. With a few exceptions I can't connect with their voices or points of view. I tell my wife that men and women perceive things very differently and that's why I don't connect. She things I'm a chauvinist.