Wednesday, 17 November 2010

The bound proofs

Well, I am ridiculously excited once more. Yesterday I had a meeting with my UK publisher, (Transworld - the book is coming out on their 'Doubleday' imprint) and saw, for the first time a bound proof of the UK edition of Before I Go to Sleep.

For those that don't know (and I didn't, until very recently) this is a copy of the book that looks and feels like a 'proper' paperback book - the only difference is that the text inside is not (quite) the final text (it's the copy-edited-but-not-proofread version) and the jacket doesn't (quite) have the same picture on it (though the picture it does have follows the same design concept* as the real, actually-available-in-the-shops book will have next April).

It looks lovely, and feels lovely, and it's absolutely bizarre to open it and see the words that started off somewhere in my head last year actually there, in black and white, on a page. The book exists now, in the world, and it's a weird feeling. Once again it almost feels as though it doesn't have anything to do with me, which is kind of nice in a way. Now I just have to wait to see what the people who these proofs are being sent to will think of the book. Fingers crossed!

*I'd love to share the cover, but I can't, yet.

No comments: